Thursday, January 24, 2008

Quinoa pasta...

Today for lunch Jack and I had rainbow quinoa pasta with a butternut squash sauce. I had never tried quinoa pasta before, but I had heard good things. I didn't care for it too much. I prefer the rice pastas out there, but Jack seemed to really like it. The texture is very different, and it has a slight nutty taste.

I make all my sauces ahead of time and freeze them in 2-person meal-sized containers for easy microwave reheating and use.

Jack really likes the butternut squash sauce and handles it a lot better than tomato-based sauces. It is very simple. I just steam or boil some cubed butternut squash. Add (or boil in) chicken bullion (or a veggie broth would probably be good too), olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, and basil. I just add all the seasoning to taste. I then puree it with my hand blender.

Before we were trying to go low-soy, I also added medium texture tofu and pureed everything together. I called that over rice pasta "no mac, no cheese, mac and cheese." The texture and appearance was very similar to Kraft mac and cheese. heh

No comments: