Sunday, January 27, 2008

"Pound Cake"

This recipe is in honor of my husband who doesn't like chocolate! Such blasphemy... but, I guess a good white cake base is important for other future recipes as well. ;-)

"Pound Cake"

1 1/4 C rice flour
1/2 C potato starch
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 C sugar
2 *units* egg replacer (depends on the brand of egg replacer. 1 unit = the amount needed to equal one egg)

* approx. 1/2 to 2/3 C apple sauce
2/3 C canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp apple juice
* enough rice milk to get desirable batter consistency. Fairly thick but easily spreadable, and thin enough to shake out the bubbles and level in a sheet cake pan.
Mix dry ingredients well. Add wet ingredients. Mix until smooth.
Spread out onto greased sheet cake pan. Something like those larger tart molds would be super cute too for a fruit-topped dessert!
Bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes. I finished it off with 2 minutes on low broil to get more of a "skin" on the top. However, that was just for aesthetics and is not needed. :-)

This makes a very basic, sturdy, and very versatile, white cake. You can also add your favorite flavored extracts for a number of other flavor twists.
* I wasn't really measuring closely when I was playing around with this one, so some of the ingredients are approximations. I will recreate it in a few weeks and write down the specific amounts (and add a comment here). The non-exact amounts are noted though.



This is how I store my baked goods (I then freeze them and thaw at room temperature as needed/desired).

No comments: